Call us to Setup a Netgear Router Easily : 1-877-200-2158
By setting up your Netgear router, you can enjoy the use of your existing Internet Service Provider without any problems relating to network connectivity. This article aims at letting the readers know how to carry out the Netgear router setup by following easy steps.
There are several ways in which you can carry out Netgear router setup, some of the easiest ones are explained in detail below.
Ways to Setup a Netgear Router
Netgear Router Setup for Newer Models Which Uses Genie Interface
- Switch off your Netgear router as well as the modem.
- On your Netgear router, you will find a port labeled as “Internet,” connect your modem to Netgear router through this port using an ethernet cable.
- Look for a port labeled as “LAN” on your Netgear router, with the help of an ethernet cable connect this port to your computer system.
- Press the “Power On” button on your modem and wait till all the blinking lights on it become stable.
- Open any browser on your computer system and navigate to routerlogin.com, www.routerlogin.net, or http://192.168.1.1.
- The above URLs should take you to the Netgear router login page. If that does not happen, check the label on your Netgear router for the correct URL and navigate to that address using your computer system.
- Enter the default login details on the page which will be “admin” for username and “password” for a password.
- As soon as you log in, the Netgear Genie setup will appear on the screen. If in case Netgear Smart Wizard pops up then you can follow the method two given below.
- Select the “Advanced” tab and then find “Setup Wizard” at the left side to click on it.
- Click on “Yes” when a pop-up window appears asking if you would want your Netgear router to detect the network connection.
- Click on “Next” to proceed further, once the network connection is detected, “Congratulations” will be displayed on the screen.
- Select “Take me to the Internet” to verify the network connectivity.
Your Netgear router would now be set up and can be used with your ISP.
- Netgear Router Setup for Older Models Which Uses Smart Wizard Interface
- Check for the port on your Netgear router labeled as “Internet” and using an ethernet cable connect this port to the modem.
- Connect your computer system to the port on the Netgear router labeled as “LAN.”
- Switch off your Netgear router, modem as well as your computer system and turn the power on all the three devices.
- Give it a few minutes so that all the devices get powered on entirely, after which open any web browser on your computer system.
- On the address bar, key in the URL, https://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.
- A dialog box asking for Netgear router login details will then appear on your screen.
- Key in “admin” place provided for Username and “password” in the place provided for Password in the Netgear router login dialog box.
- On the sidebar, you can find the “Setup Wizard” option, click on that.
- A prompt window asking if you wish the Netgear router should detect the network connection, click “Yes.”
- After a few brief minutes, the Netgear router will detect the internet connection after which you will have to click on “Next.”
All the setting would get stored, and the setup of the Netgear router will be done.
Netgear Router Setup Troubleshooting
During the process of Netgear router setup, you may face some issues and be unable to connect to the internet. To tackle these issues you would need to troubleshoot the configuration of the Netgear router. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the Netgear router setup.
- On your computer system, open any browser and navigate to http://support.netgear.com/.
- Since the outdated firmware can sometimes lead to issues with the setup of the Netgear router, you can download the latest firmware from here and try again.
- If you are still facing issues, try resetting your Netgear router. Once you reset the Netgear router, it’s default factory settings would be restored and any problems relating to the software of the Netgear router can be solved.
- If the above tip does not solve your problem, it is highly possible that there is some issue with the ethernet cables being used by you. Make use of a new set of ethernet cables to make the connections with the computer system as well as the modem and try again.
- If you are still unable to establish a connection with the internet through your Netgear router, you can contact your internet service provider who would assist you further to establish a stable internet connection successfully.
These are some of the easiest ways in which you can set up your Netgear router to enjoy the internet connectivity on several systems through a single source. If in case you face any problems Netgear router setup, the troubleshooting mentioned above guide would help you in tackling those issues and successfully establishing an internet connection.